The electronics industry manufactures electronic equipment used within industrial electronics such as semiconductors, as well as consumer electronics such as televisions and smartphones.Companies in this sector design, develop, manufacture, assemble, and service equipment and components.
By the year 2024, the global consumer electronics market is expected to reach
Growth within the electronics manufacturing industry is driven by the following factors:
- The demand from emerging market economies
- Investment in foreign production of electronics, which results in new factories and factory expansions
- Increased consumer spending
- Increased competition that drives down production costs and expands the availability of affordable electronics products
- Development of new technologies
The Semiconductor Segment
The semiconductor industry creates products such as memory chips, microprocessors, integrated circuits, and specialized processorsfor a wide variety of uses in electronics and computers. Primarily, large companies dominate this particular industry segment, but smaller, niche players are carving their place in the market.
The semiconductor industry is highly influenced by new technologies and global economic cycles. When product prices are high, companies produce more of them. This saturates the market and prices drop. As a result, some companies choose to produce less, gradually driving prices back up. The industry also requires a great deal of capital, and research and development, and is subject to long lead times from concept to production.
Because there is much reliance on economic environments—plus there is the high degree of risk due to cost of R&D—smaller companies and startups tend to prefer to be acquired by a larger semiconductor company as a more realistic strategy to create steady future growth.
Next Wave Tech
Over the next couple of decades, printed, flexible and stretchable electronics will continue to represent a massive opportunity in the future of tech, as well as M&A activity. These electronic innovations include:
- E-textiles, smart clothing, and wearable electronics
- Flexible displays and screens
- High-performance, low-power electronics
- Wearable and mobile health monitoring tools
- Flexible, foldable, roll-able batteries and photovoltaic technologies
- Miniaturized components
Automotive Electronics Evolution
As software and electronics play an increasingly essential role in vehicles, the communication technology giants have been aggressively investing in the automotive industry. At the same time, traditional auto manufacturers are actively seeking to partner with technology companies in order to be more productive at digitizing and innovating their offerings. These market dynamics and adaptive strategies are key drivers of M&A in the automotive electronics sector.
The market for automotive electronics is expected to exceed $100 billion by 2025.
Restructuring through M&A enables these companies to better integrate, reconfigure, and pool resources, gain new and specific knowledge, and enhance overall capabilities.
Integration of cultures can be an important challenge when a smaller tech firm converges with a giant conventional automaker. For M&A to be successful, both companies in the transaction must be mindful of how greatly differing cultures need to be integrated with care.
Achieving Successful M&A
Beyond cultural integration, other important considerations in an M&A transaction between organizations include:
- Proper targeting and vetting of both companies
- Identification and mapping of internal processes of both organizations
- Evaluation of the structural fit for each organization
- Locations of all global and regional offices and facilities
- Synchronization of the data, applications, and types of technologies used by each organization
- Assessment of how their legacy systems and languages might conflict or be enhanced
It is also critical to the deal that both parties are kept on track and expectations are properly managed. This is where the partnership with an M&A advisory firm can make all the difference in a smooth transition and the ultimate success of the deal. This valuable partnership can also save significant time and financial resources.
If you wish to formulate a plan to sell, grow or exit your company, contact us at Benchmark International today. Our experts are uniquely qualified to coordinate deals that deliver on every single wish and stipulation expressed by the business owners with which we form long-lasting partnerships.READ MORE >>